Sunday, April 5, 2009

December Albatross















This Blackfooted Albatross has a white wingtip which I thought was interesting. She (I think it was a female but it's really impossible to tell with 100% confidence whithout testing their blood, seeing them mate or watching them lay an egg) only has white on her right wing.





This hybrid (Blackfoot/Laysan hybrid) was on an egg and mated with a blackfoot. The egg hatched and the chick was (most likely) still alive when I left. It will be interesting to see what the chick looks like if it survives to fledge.

Dancing Blackfoots

I love this photo of Tod.

Tod again

Coming in for a landng air brakes deployed

I never get sick of looking at these birds they are so striking and full of personality.



Working on building a nest, this bird or it's mate never ended up nesting here but maybe next year.

I watched this bird lay her egg. It was the first egg I saw layed. Her technique is unique compaired to the other eggs we saw layed (I saw 2 other Laysan's and one Blackfoot lay an egg). Most birds lay their eggs standing up/squating and kind of squat as the egg is actually coming out and only sit down to (I assume) take a little break.

No comments: